Mobile first emerged as a favorite buzzword, as penetration and traffic patterns have made mobile optimization and native apps must-haves for almost all consumer-facing businesses. However, mobile comes with its unique characteristics when it comes to customer behavior.
Here’s a quick take on these distinct characteristics:
- Limited Real Estate. With no search gateway like Google, you are constantly reminding your user to ask herself whether she’d like to keep your app on her mobile or uninstall.
- Low tolerance. The product performance expectations are very high for responsiveness and accuracy. If you disappoint, you lose users.
- No returns. When a mobile user clicks away from an app, there is no back button, so it’s usually an exit, not a detour.
- Low attention & multitasking. App usage is usually an activity that accompanies another one, such as commuting, waiting for a meal, or sitting in a meeting.
- Targeted usage. When a user fires up your app, she usually has a specific thing she is looking for. Social apps are an exception to this.
- Shorter sessions. The engagement time of mobile users is about half that of web users.